Total Pageviews

Friday 19 October 2012

POEM FROM MERVYN PEAKE'S TITUS...



POEM FROM MERVYN PEAKE'S TITUS GROAN (Gormenghast Trilogy)

The Gormenghast Trilogy: Titus Groan, Gormenghast, Titus Alone
Mervyn Peake


Linger now with me, thou beauty
on the sharp achaeic shore
Surely 'tis a wastrel's duty
and the Gods could ask no more
If thou lingerest when I linger
if thou tread'st the stones I tread
Thou will stay my spirit's hunger
and dispel the dreams I dread.

Come thou, love, my own, my only
through the battlements of groan
Lingering becomes so lonely
when one lingers on one's own.

I have lingered in the cloisters
of the northern wing at night
as the sky unclaspsed its oysters
on the midnight pearls of light
for the long remoursless shadows
chilled me with equisite fear
I have lingered in the cold medows
through a month of rain my dear.

Come my love, my sweet, my only
through the parapets of groan
Lingering can be very lonely
when one lingers on one's own.

In dark alcoves I have lingered
Concious of dead dynasties
I have lingered in blue cellars
and in the hollow trunks of trees
Many a traveller thru moonlight
Passing by a wandering star
or a cold and crumbling archway
has been shocked to see me there.

I have longed for thee, my only
Hark! the footsteps of the groan
Lingering is so very lonely
when one lingers on one's own
Will you come with me a linger?
and discourse with me of those
secret things the mystic finger
points to, but will not disclose
When I'm all alone, my glory
always fades because I find
being lonely drives the splendour
of my vision from my mind
Come of come my own, my only
through the Gormaenghast of groan
lingering has become so lonely
as I linger all alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment